March 11, 2014
The Jewish Women’s Association of Hong Kong (JWA), a vibrant and passionate institution, is celebrating 67 years of dedicated community service in Hong Kong. This year the JWA is going “green” and sending this letter to you by email only.
We want you to know that our annual Ball will be held on June 1, 2014 at the Aberdeen Marina Club’s Ballroom and we hope to see you there!
As the only nonaffiliated organization that unites all Jewish women in Hong Kong, our mission is to save women and children in crisis; either struck by terrible illness or in need of shelter. With proceeds from the JWA Bazaar and Ball, we are committed to continually supporting several carefully selected charitable organizations, which we audit annually. The majority of all funds raised go directly to our beneficiaries, as we keep our overhead to the very minimum.
This year, thanks to your donations, the JWA supports the following institutions and their crucial programs:
• Hayim Association – Supports a hospital and home based palliative care program at the Schneider Children’s Medical Center. This program allows for the children to continue to be treated whilst staying at home during the last period of his/ her life.
• Hong Kong Breast Cancer Foundation – Funds one full time nurse in low income areas of Hong Kong who delivers emotional support, information and patient education, treatment preparation group, and breast cancer educational talks.
• One in Nine – Funds the program “By Your Side” in Haifa which provides a supportive social network for young women diagnosed with breast cancer. These women receive information, legal aid and emotional support through group therapy and counseling, which proved to be as critical as medical support for breast cancer survival. The successful pilot program “By Your Side” was financed by the JWA in Tel Aviv during 2012-2013.
• Tlalim – Supports eTlalim which is a school with no walls where hundreds of students aged 5 to 18 study together from their homes. eTlalim activities are focused on the effort to complete the learning gaps that result from the bedridden children’s absence from school, so they can reintegrate in their classes upon recovery.
• Israel Family Planning Association – Supports the “Open Door” center located in Beer Sheva. This program aims to promote the well being of adolescents (mostly girls) “at-risk” in southern Israel. The "Open Door" provides counseling, education and information for adolescents, parents and for professionals working with youth. This program has been praised by the World Health Organization and replicated in many countries around the world.
• WIZO – Financed the renovating of the playground at the WIZO Boris Green Day Care Center located at Yad Eliyahu, Tel Aviv.
• IsrAID – One time donation to IsrAID, an Israeli emergency response organization working in the Philippines after the disaster of Typhoon Haynan.
Thousands of children with cancer and special needs, as well as vulnerable women, have already benefited from your generosity. When we help one person, the effects ripple throughout their entire family. Your kindness and pledge to the Jewish Women’s Association can make the difference of a lifetime for them.
This year, we look to your unwavering support to continue our passionate efforts to save lives. We ask you to donate generously. There are many ways you can contribute: Donate to our brochure and buy a table and invite your friends to come to the Ball. Our tables of ten are being sold for HK$18,000, HK$28,000 and HK$38,000. Your gift to the Jewish Women’s Association credits you with a space in the event’s brochure – please see the attached pages for details.
We thank you for your support of these important causes. Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
We look forward to seeing you and celebrating another year of service at the Ball on June 1!
With much appreciation and kind regards,
Ana Scherer Shani Brownstein
JWA Co Chairwomen